counter

Monday 26 September 2011

Spit and be silent

We victims of PD often have excess saliva in our mouths. This not caused by an over production of saliva in the major and minor salivary glands. Rather, excess saliva builds up in our mouths because we tend to swallow less. Usually it is not noticeable, but sometimes it causes spittle to form at the corners of our mouths. I combat it by forcing myself to swallow more and talk less. So far, it has not been a problem.

But, my voice is disappearing again. It seems to emanate from the far recesses of my throat and present itself as raspy and quiet. It makes social discourse rather difficult because (a) I can hear myself and know that it is not my usual voice so I stumble over words with the result being I tend to keep quiet and (b) the listener has trouble hearing what little I have to say.

Silence is becoming my mode of conversation.

Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary. ~Peter Minard

No comments:

Post a Comment