counter

Sunday 11 September 2011

The sounds of silence

I am being robbed of my voice!!! I am getting quieter and raspier with each passing day. Went to buy a new cell phone and the person serving me had to keep saying "sorry?" "What's that?" "you want what? Finally, I quit speaking and let my wife handle everything (she is better at it than I, anyway).

Reduced speaking volume is called "hypophonia". That's not so bad, I can always force myself to speak louder. The raspiness is more of a monotone. In other words, I am having difficulty conveying my emotional message, even if the listener can hear me. I have read that I also will have the joy of experiencing "dysarthria" - ie - difficulty forming the words I am trying to say.

On the upside, the tremors remain at bay; although, every so often they appear as my thumb and first finger on my right hand seem to feel the need to caress each other. Unfortunately, I have also felt this on my left hand as well. Still, I appreciate the vacation from the tremors and vibrations.

Shakespeare wrote "Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice.” Apparently I am not going to have a choice in that. But, I have never had much to say anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment