counter

Saturday 3 September 2011

My idea of exercise is a good brisk sit. (Phyllis Diller)

Over and over in my readings about PD, exercise is emphasized as a possible way of delaying the progression of the disease. But, nowhere do they tell you what kind of exercise is best or for how long each session should last - probably because any exercise for any length of time is beneficial.

The exercise regimes I use (and why) are:

1. Running - although lately curtailed due to a groin injury, I normally run about 2 miles alternating fast laps with slow. If I am "feeling" the joy of the exertion, I will go 3 miles. Running is good because the arms are bent and somehow that interferes with the tremor in my hand and thus can be done in public with minimum embarrassment (yes, I confess, my tremor can be embarrassing)

2. Walking - I usually walk for 40 minutes to an hour. I exaggerate my arm swing so that I look like a North Korean soldier on steroids. For some reason, I do not find this embarrassing. I also lengthen my stride and emphasize heel/toe. In my mind, such exercise may delay the onset of a lack of arm swing and a shuffling gait. It may also help prevent falls. I can keep my tremor to a minimum by gripping my Ipod Touch in that hand.

3. Race Walking - I used to do this competitively 25 years ago. If you don't know the technique, I am sure it can be found online. This is a great exercise. It combines the exertion of running with the healthiness of walking (ie - easy on the joints). Your arms are bent, so that little, if any tremor shows up. The best reason for race walking is, it is great for balance. Find a line on a track or on the road and when you plant your feet (heel first), do so so that they land on the line every time. The body should be held straight with lots of good hip action - good for the core muscles involved in balance. I believe the world's record over a mile is 5.5 minutes.

4. Resistance Training - I use machines and occasionally, free weights. Emphasis is on the abductor muscles. I hate weight training, but I figure, what the heck, I am here so why not add bench presses and flys and get those pecs looking as good as can be expected in a 65 year old male. One of these days, I will work on my abs and maybe develop a 2-pack or less.

5. Stationary bike - my bike is broken so I am reduced to a stationary bike. I use it as a warm up to get all lower body muscles moving - usually 6 miles at 2 minutes per mile over 20 minutes.

6. Stretches - I concentrate on any group that will help maintain balance as the disease progresses - eg - hamstrings, quads, back, etc.

These are the routines I use in my exercise program. There are other routines. A couple of decades ago, a good friend of mine told me he had decided to take exercising seriously.

"Good!" I responded

"Yep," he said, "today I bench pressed my sheets. One set of one."

He also told me he was going to start stretching because, "I want to be 6 foot 7."

No comments:

Post a Comment