counter

Friday 2 September 2011

Spousal Support

Lately I have looked into support groups. I am not sure why. It just seems de rigeur for a PD victim to use a support group. At the moment, I don't feel the need. I have my readers, but more importantly, I have my wife. Heaven will not be heaven if my wife isn't there. She exudes quiet confidence about my condition. Not the fawning type but rather the type that admonishes me with "Why do you read that stuff? You are OK now and there is a good chance your PD will progress slowly and if it doesn't, we can work it out!"

I value those remarks and when I tell her I am suffering a moment of fear. She listens. That's all - just listens - and somehow the fear dissipates. The upshot is, I know I am not alone in my thoughts as she somehow gets into my head and keeps me grounded.

The only thing a sane man requires with PD hanging over his shoulder, is a good wife. I still have my sanity and I have an exceptional wife. A support group, at this stage of the condition, does not seem necessary.

Did I mention my wife is a physiotherapist? She knows what she is talking about. I am a very lucky man.

Of course, we still have our moments. To paraphase Jack Benny, my wife and I have been married for thirty-seven years and not once have we had an argument serious enough to consider divorce; murder, yes, but divorce, never.



No comments:

Post a Comment