counter

Wednesday 14 September 2011

The old gray mare....she ain't what she used to be.

Went to the neurologist today. Took about 10 minutes as there wasn't much to talk about. Increased the dosage of my medication and asked a few questions. Nothing else he could do. I go to the Movement Disorder Clinic in November.

The tremor has all but disappeared and I am feeling pretty good.

Had lunch with an old friend awhile back and told him I had PD. His response was "We are all going to get something." He was referring to the aging population which is living longer lives. Online, I found this article, which should scare people:

In addition to relieving patient suffering, research is needed to help reduce the enormous economic and social burdens posed by chronic diseases such as osteoporosis, arthritis, diabetes, Parkinson's and Alzheimer's diseases, cancer, heart disease, and stroke.

To name but a few.

The economic impact will be huge. My friend was right, we are all going to get something eventually. As Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "All diseases run into one, old age."

But then that famous pitcher, Satchel Paige (at 42, the oldest rookie ever in major league baseball) said, "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was?" Maybe that is an attitude we should all adopt.

Enough rambling. I will return when anything new arises.

No comments:

Post a Comment